Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Manicure for less

Ask anyone who knows me, I don't think my fingernails have been without polish since I was born. I've always loved a fresh coat of nail polish, fingers and toes.

Needless to say, I love all of the non-traditional colors that are trending right now just in time for spring.

I don't love dropping $9 a bottle on a green OPI color that I'll wear once a month for a couple of days.

SO...I've put together my version of some great  looks for less that I think are very comparable to the more expensive brands.


mani

mani by ann-rebecca featuring opi


1. Mint Candy Apple by Essie: I love love love this color, but it is almost $8 in stores.

2.My Paprika is Hotter Than Yours by OPI: this color is timeless. Actually, it's probably worth the $9 OPI version from the salon. I do have a great alternative if you can't justify paying that much for a bottle of nail polish.

3.Lilacism by Essie: This color is gorgeous, but I don't where purple shades very often. Probably more in the spring. Again, $8 per bottle

4.Black Onyx by OPI: If you wear black as a staple, it may be worth the investment. I just can't pay $9 knowing there are so many other options.

My Cheap Alternatives



1. Sinful Colors: these polishes are $1.98 at wal-mart. You can buy 5 bottles of this polish to the one bottle of OPI. So for the trendier polishes, why not? This polish also stayed on 4 days without a single chip. I am always doing something to chip the polish, so for this to stay on 4 days, it's noteworthy.



2. Sally Hansen Hard Nails: this polish is $1.92. Don't get me wrong, I actually have the OPI version in a mini bottle from a gift set. I probably won't pay to buy another OPI bottle, knowing I have this one for less than $2. This polish also stayed on 4 days without any chipping.



3. Rimmel London 60 Seconds: To be fair, this was my least favorite polish. The color was a little chalky and the brush was a flat "salon" brush, which I despise. The color looked good with two coats and I am much happier knowing I paid $1.50 for it, compared to the $8 bottle of Essie lilacism I had in my hand.


4. Maybelline Color Show: I don't have a picture of this manicure, but this polish was great! I bought it in black and it hasn't disappointed. It paints on evenly and the color stays for days. However, it's the most expensive at a little over $3 per bottle.

AND THE WINNER IS.....


SINFUL COLORS

Sinful Colors gets my vote, for being the best polish of all the cheaper alternatives. They also have a FABULOUS color selection. Plus they're $2 per bottle, lets go buy 10. 


Suggestion: All of my colors lasted at least four days. They may have lasted longer, but I usually opt for a color change before that time elapses. I suggest you invest in an OPI base coat and a Seche Vite top coat. It really maintains your manicure. The seche vite also puts a protective hard top coat over your nails that is dry in only a couple of minutes, with a glass shine finish. 

Happy Painting!

Linking up with Shanna for Random Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. I'm liking the non traditional colors as well. I wonder if they sell mini nail polishes any where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they do or not. My mini OPI bottle came from the Top 10 gift set I got for Christmas. It would be great if you could!

      Delete
  2. I think I´ll be trying colors one and 3, mint green and lilac are are colors this spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm loving them both. I can't get enough mint this spring, it's almost as bad as my polka dot obsession. Everything I buy is mint whether I realize it or not. Good thing I bought some pink pants!

      Delete
  3. I love those Essie colors you used up top! Those will be bought next time I go to the store!! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love hearing from each and every one of you!